Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

This picture does not even do this coffee cake justice. 1) Because this is a picture before it was even put in the oven 2) It does not show the heavenlyness of the cake. The reason I didn't seem to get a picture is because the second it was done I went on a nice 4.5 hour drive to Pittsburgh and the thought must have slipped my mind. Ooops! Anyway, I brought this to our tail gate bright and early Sunday morning and it was divine. Side note: DO NOT decide to play Gangnam Style at your tail gate unless the median age is somewhere around mid 20's. Between the hustle and bustle of classic rock hits being played I said "Hey DAD! Let's play gangnam!" He proceeded to let me and I started dancing. Within a few seconds I noticed no one else was dancing and just looking at me in sheer confusion. It was one of those awkward moments where you look around slowly and see everyone's eyes on you and it's like crickets are chirping even though I never would've heard them. Well,  you can imagine about halfway through I just ran up there and said "Dad! HURRY Put something else on!" Then I went and hid in a corner with my beer and coffee cake. There was about 1/3 left Monday morning so I brought half of that home. I couldn't bring it all because I would have just been in a pumpkin coma. The good news is though that my boyfriend ate all of it as of today. He told me he had to eat a little bit at a time because it was so good and needed to make it last. If he's eating my sweets, that's a big deal, he's not even a sweet eater. Plus 1 for team KBTM.

Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Yield ~20 servings

1 package vanilla cake mix
1 15 ounce can pumpkin
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk

In a bowl mix together the pumpkin, eggs, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then mix in the cake mix. Pour this into a 9 x 13 greased baking dish. In another bowl melt your butter and add 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, and walnuts. Mix this together with your fingers until it becomes crumbly, then spread it out on top of the cake batter. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let this cool, then place the milk in saucepan on medium high until simmering and add the other 1/2 cup brown sugar and white sugar. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved then pour over the coffee cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment