Monday, March 26, 2012

Thai Drunken Noodles

It's Monday! Definitely not a yay for Monday though. The beautiful weather we've had for almost two weeks decided to take a break for the weekend. The one good thing about the unbeautiful weather was that it took also took a break for the 3 hours I used to move my things into my new place! I was so worried the torrential downpours would be soaking all my belongings but the rain literally stopped 10 minutes before we started moving. The weather gods were nice that day, maybe because they knew a weather lover needed their help. Or maybe cause they knew how miserable it would be for my dad and boyfriend to deal with me if our plans had to be adjusted. Either way, things went great and that evening my new room mate (i.e. boyfriend) and I celebrated with the fugdiest chocolatey brownies ever. There may have only been half the pan left in the morning. Now the weekend is over and it's Monday, my least favorite day of the week. At least some joy can be brought to your life by this dish and you will have all week to make it now. Thai drunken noodles is in my top 2 favorite Thai dishes ever. The other is curry. In fact, Thai food is my favorite type of food in the entire world.

Pad Kee Mao
Thai Drunken Noodles
Yield ~4 servings

1 pound shrimp
1 jalapeno
1 onion
6 green onions
3 plum tomatoes
1 serrano pepper
1/2 green pepper
~ 3/4 cup basil leaves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon canola oil
~1 cup rice noodles

For the sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
dash pepper

Turn burner on medium high heat and place a tablespoon of oil in skillet. Add in red pepper flakes, serrano pepper, and jalapeno. Next add in the shrimp, garlic, onions, and green peppers. Meanwhile bring another pot of water to boil, place rice noodles in and boil for about 7-8 minutes until tender. It won't take very long. Once onions and peppers begin to cook through mix in the basil, green onions, and tomatoes. In a separate bowl mix all the ingredients for the sauce. Once noodles are finished cooking, drain and add into the skillet with the vegetables. Mix together then pour in the sauce and stir together. Reduce heat and let noodles soak up the sauce and flavor for a few minutes, then dish is ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment