Monday, January 7, 2013

Butter Pecan Cake

Hello! Long time, no talk. Sadly, I think these recipes are going to be more of a once a week thing now that I've been so busy with life, work, and holidays. You can tell how busy I was because this recipe was from the Sunday before Christmas and it's just making it to you now. BUT, that doesn't mean it's still not a wonderful cake to make year round. I love pecans and this cake really shows them off. My aunt told me it reminded her of wedding cake, so hopefully that's a good thing! 

You would think I would have tons of recipes to share right now considering my boyfriend is gone for 3 weeks in Nepal! He is helping at a school with family friends teaching English so I have been trying to hold up the fort. It's tough work being the only person in a town house, let me tell you! Especially when you are trying to finish painting the 6 month long project of installing wainscoting in your kitchen. Yes, it probably should have taken 1/6 that time but at least it's almost done! And, the best part is that I'm redoing the spare room that was completely empty and turning it into an office. I'm so excited that he has no idea and can't wait to see his surprise when he comes home! Anyway, I know that you probably care more about the cake so here it is.

Butter Pecan Cake
Yield ~16+ servings

Cake:
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 cups pecans, chopped

Frosting:
2 sticks butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl cream the butter and sugar together, then add the vanilla and eggs in one at a time. Next mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt. It will be very thick so don't worry. Last add in your milk to get the correct consistency, then fold in your 1 1/2 cups of pecans. Pour the cake into your cake pans, then bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. While the cakes are baking, mix your butter in a bowl with the vanilla. Then add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. To get your preferred consistency add in a tablespoon of milk at a time. Frost your cake once it is cooled and sprinkle 1/2 chopped cup pecans over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment