Thursday, June 7, 2012

Blue Bottom Cupcakes

I feel like a lot of the things I make end up being inspired by the fact that I have too much of something... like blueberries. Ever since I can remember at Giant if it said buy one, get one free, if you bought one it was just half price. This has been the law of the land for years. I moved recently and now it's not the closest but at work I go to Giant. I bought strawberries a while ago when they were "on sale" but only got one. Later I realized I paid a lot more than I thought I should have. So when blueberries were on sale I tried again and realized now you actually HAVE to buy the second one. It was a sad day when I realized this was truth but then I ended up with a ton of blueberries and these were born. I've always loved black bottom cupcakes, like love love love, so I just thought I'd omit the cocoa powder from the cake part and add in the blueberries. The best part is these can be a dessert or breakfast!

Blue Bottom Cupcakes
Yield ~18 regular cupcakes, 48 mini cupcakes

Cream Cheese Filling

1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Blueberries
White Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the dry mixture and add in the oil, water, egg, and vanilla. Slowly mix in with the dry ingredients. In another bowl, cream the cream cheese and sugar together. Next mix in the sour cream, then the egg and vanilla. Fill cupcake tins about 1/2 way with the cake mixture. Place 2 blueberries (for minis) or 5 blueberries (for regular) on top of the cake batter. Then pour the cream cheese filling on top until they are filled up to about 80%. Sprinkle some white chocolate chips on top. Bake for 18 minutes for minis, 25 minutes for regular sized cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment