Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Salted Chocolate PB Bars

It's half way day! That's my new term for Hump Day aka Wednesday. It always makes me feel better once we get to Wednesday because there's only 2.5 days until I'm done with work on Friday now. Come on weekend! Not that I'm doing anything terribly exciting unless you consider packing up a whole house to move and having a yard sale exciting. If you do, you need help. There's only one thing that can be fun about packing a whole house and that is finding things from your childhood like a journal. Namely, a journal that has entries about every boy from 5th grade through 9th grade. Apparently I only wrote a handful of times a year and every time it was professing my undying love for some boy of the year. One of my favorites was definitely about how distraught I was because I didn't get to ride the bus home the ONE day my crush was riding it home. I wrote about how wonderful and perfect it could have been if I'd been able to sit next to him and hang out with everyone on the bus and talk. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!?!?! Oh, the thoughts of a ten year old. At least I hope I'm not the only one who had silly thoughts like that...

Onto the next subject! Salted Chocolate PB Bars! I wanted to try something new so I decided I'd make them for my company picnic so I wouldn't have them all sitting at my house. Happy to report they were all gone!

Salted Chocolate PB Bars
Yield ~ 25 bars

Cookie Base
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup flour
1 egg
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt

Topping
1 cup peanuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 Reese's bar or Reese's cups, chopped ~1/2 cup

Kosher salt to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl cream the brown sugar and butter together. Add in the egg, then mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Spray your pan with cooking spray and spread the cookie dough out on the bottom to cover the whole pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Take the base out of the oven by then even if it isn't done. While it's baking, then mix the sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, egg, and reese's bar chunks in a bowl. Once you take it out of the oven spread out the peanuts on top then pour the liquid mixture on top of the cookie base. Place back in the oven for about 25 minutes. Check on it around 20 minutes to see if the topping has become firm, you may not need the full 25 minutes if you do not want it to be as caramelized on top. Once it comes out of the oven sprinkle it with some salt. Let cool to room temperature, then place in fridge for an hour to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment