Friday, June 1, 2012

Cream Cheese Custard

So when you look at this you probably aren't as excited about it as I was. The night of making this was one of those anything that can go wrong will go wrong nights. So learn from my mistakes, laugh a little, and make this way better than I did. It might not be pretty but it sure tastes good. The ladies we had over said it was just like a flan. 

My evening started as I learned that my boyfriend's mom and two of her friends were coming over for dinner the next evening. So being the nice person I am I wanted to make a dessert for them to have after. I went to the store and got all the ingredients I would need and set to baking. The only problem was I didn't let my cream cheese sit out long enough so when I tried to mix it in it was very chunky and never fully mixed in. Mistake 1. Then I pick a pan to put it in. I left my springform pan at my mom's so I settled on a square pan but it has a little insert on the bottom so you can get cakes out easier. I didn't think that would be an issue so I poured the mix in and picked it up to put it in the oven. It started leaking everywhere. Mistake 2. Then I start freaking out screaming for help and getting angry I don't have another suitable dish to fit all the mix in. Next I start screaming in frustration cause of the 100 baking dishes we have none will work. Mistake 3. (mistake because boyfriend was currently being nice and making me king crab legs for dinner as I yell at him) I settled on a smaller one than I needed and put the extra in a creme brulee dish. After I finally got everything taken care of I sat down to dinner with him, 20 minutes later than it was ready. I get to cracking and halfway through in my attempt to crack a leg somehow I knocked my entire dish off the table. Mistake 4. Old Bay and crab legs flew all over the room, no lie. Attack of the crab. Icing on top. After this I just sat there in disbelief and within 2 minutes a glass of wine appeared in front of me. I guess my boyfriend knows what I need when I need it.

Cream Cheese Custard
Yield ~12 servings

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (ROOM temperature!)
7 eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
1 can evaporated milk (14 ounces)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan at medium-high heat. Swirl the mixture around in the pan for about 8 minutes until turning slightly golden. Immediately pour it in a 9 inch metal cake pan. Beat the cream cheese in a bowl then add in one egg at a time as you continue mixing. Mix in the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Pour into 9 inch cake pan. Place a separate pan filled 2/3 with water in the oven below the rack you will place the custard on. (this will keep moisture and keep the custard from cracking) Put the cake pan in the oven and bake for about an hour or until the center is just slightly wobbly. Let cool to room temperature for one hour, then refrigerate for 4 hours. When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan and flip it upside down on to a plate so the custard comes out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment