Friday, June 22, 2012

Maryland Crab Cakes

Rewind 2 years ago. I didn't eat any seafood except for shrimp. That's it. Fast forward to now, I eat a lot of seafood including but not limited to shrimp, crabs, cooked fish and raw, especially sushi. That is quite the increase of seafood vocabulary to add to my diet. One of the first new additions were these crab cakes. I was never even a fan of crabs until I had one of these. My boyfriend introduced to me his version of the crab cake and I never looked back. He was pretty proud of this recipe and there is a reason why. So many crab cakes here have a ton of filler aka bread crumbs that you barely get any crab meat anymore. These babies are pure crab and it's awesome. I can honestly say it's the best crab cake ever. I went down to Charleston to see my amazing aunt and uncle and we made this for them. My uncle fell in love as well and they have asked me for the recipe 3 times! The sauce really compliments the crab cake well, as well as the side which will be the next recipe to come. 

Maryland Crab Cakes
Yield ~4 cakes

1 pound crab meat
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon Old Bay
handful of fresh parsley, chopped
dash of pepper
~1/2 cup instant potatoes

Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise 
3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce

Mix all ingredients except instant potatoes in a bowl. Add in 1/4 cup instant potatoes at a time until your preferred consistency and form 4 crab cakes. Pour about a tablespoon of oil in an oven safe pan or skillet and bring to medium heat. Place cakes in the pan and cook on each side for about 4 minutes or until slightly browned. Then place pan in the oven for 15 minutes to finish cooking.  For the sauce, just mix the mayo and chili garlic sauce in a bowl. 



No comments:

Post a Comment