Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Smith Island Cake: Patriotic Style

Phew, talk about a crazy weekend. This past 4 day weekend has thrown me for loop and I am totally out of it. I almost forgot about posting a recipe today! I've been so busy at work too since it's the beginning of the month it's hard to keep up. So let's do a little recap. Friday I was super excited because I sponsored a tee at a golf tournament benefiting the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. Look at my beautiful sign.
Saturday I had a family cookout and made this wonderful Smith Island cake for it. Sunday I went to Penn State with boyfriend and we got to pretend like he was in college again. So fun but so busy and exhausting. I'm glad to be back in the weekly routine. So here's the weekly Wednesday recipe. 

Cake
Yield ~16 servings

1/2 package vanilla cake mix
1/2 package red velvet cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 package vanilla pudding mix 

Vanilla Frosting (multiply this recipe times 2)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In one bowl mix together the vanilla cake mix and 1/2 the vanilla pudding mix, then mix in 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup oil, and 1/4 cup water. In another bowl mix together the red velvet cake mix and 1/2 the vanilla pudding mix, then mix in 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup oil, and 1/4 cup water. Spoon about 3/4 cup of batter into well greased 8" cake pans. Depending how many pans you have you can only do so many. This much batter should make 9-10 layers. Bake each batch for about 15 minutes. Let them cool slightly then take them out of the pans to cool completely on a cooling rack as shown below. Refill pans and bake the rest of the batter. Meanwhile you can make your frosting. Place a cake layer on your cake stand then put a light layer of frosting, keep doing this until you have done all layers. Then frost the whole cake. You can can add in strawberry layers as I did to give that flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment