Monday, May 7, 2012

Enchiladas

I know, I know, I'm slightly late with my Mexican recipe posting. I did give you a couple to tide you over but this one is definitely better and there's another one coming too but you can use that recipe all summer long so it's not like you missed out on anything. In fact, I didn't even have these on Cinco de Mayo. I had them the day before since I went out with my Dad to celebrate on the real day. This meal was just the beginning to my weekend of food coma. This on Friday + the world's largest loaded nachos and peanut butter sundae on Saturday + the plethora of food we made for my Dad's birthday on Sunday = dead me today. I don't know how I made it out of bed to even get ready for work today, I barely remember showering. I will say though that my Cinco de Mayo rocked. My Dad and I went to a few bars on the Eastern Shore and had our fair share of Margaritas and Coronas. By 10:00 we were planning on leaving then Dad goes, Wanna go to Dairy Queen? So off we went to get our ice cream. Then we watched a show about airplanes in 3D as we ate our sundaes and had our last Cinco de Mayo celebratory drink. Definitely my kind of night :)

Enchiladas
Yield ~7-8 enchiladas

1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 jalapeno, sliced
3-4 large chicken breasts
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oil
7-8 tortillas
1 cup colby jack, pepper jack, or mexican style cheese
1/2 pound ground beef
29 ounce can enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a pot boil water and place the chicken breasts in until cooked through. Drain and place them in a bowl to cool, then shred them apart. Next, in a skillet pour the teaspoon of oil and put on medium heat. Place the sliced green pepper, onion, and jalapeno in and saute until cooked through. Add in the chili powder. Brown your ground beef in a pan, drain, then mix into the enchilada sauce. Place on burner to warm up. Pour the pepper and onion mixture into the shredded chicken and mix through. Place the filling in the tortillas, roll up, and place in your baking dish. We were able to fit 7 in ours. Pour your beef enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas in the baking dish to completely cover in sauce. Bake about 20 minutes, then take your dish out and sprinkle the cheese on it and place it back in the oven for 5 more minutes. Enjoy with a good Mexican beer preferably with a nice little poncho like this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment