Friday, May 4, 2012

Granola Coffee Cake

One of the best ways to come up with baking ideas is cleaning out the pantry. I was "cleaning" it out the other day aka perusing the goods and realized there were loads of grain products all on the top shelf that I had no idea about. There were oats, cream of wheat, grits, barley, and granola! The last two will be/have been victims of new recipes. Barley is yet to come. I've only ever used granola on yogurt, then one day I actually read the nutrition facts and was like WHOA! So not as good for you as I thought so I hadn't had it in probably a year. When I found this though, I instantly dug my hand in and started eating little granola mounds thinking what can I do with this? The result was a coffee cake and let me tell you, I had 3 servings of it the night I made it. I was thoroughly impressed when I took a bite in.

Actually, right now as I'm typing this I just remembered it's Cinco de Mayo tomorrow. Maybe I should've made a Mexican recipe to share with you. I'm actually pretty excited for tomorrow since I'm going to the Eastern Shore to do some partying Mexican style on the water. I love Kent Island. I always have a blast every time I go there. Plus it's the first time I can actually celebrate since I've been of age and didn't have to be up at 6. So since I forgot to make something that was a little more appropriate for the season here are two throwbacks for you. Don't forget to have a margarita with it.
Mexican Dinner Pies
Mexican Slaw

Granola Coffee Cake
Yield ~12 servings

1 cup granola
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Filling
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir the granola and yogurt together in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes to get a little soft. Then mix in the butter, sugar, and eggs. Next add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Grease your baking pan and pour half the batter in. Then sprinkle the cinnamon over the batter along with  your butterscotch chips and nuts (if using). Pour the rest of the batter on top and sprinkle with a handful of granola if you'd like. Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment