Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jack and Coke Chocolate Cake- Putting Green Style

This was one fun cake to make! Drink inspired cakes are always awesome. This is only the second one I've made though, next to my Margarita Coconut Cake. I don't know which was better though. You'll just have to make this and let me know what you think. My Dad's birthday was yesterday so I made him a birthday cake but not just any ordinary cake. His favorite drink is Jack and Coke and he loves to golf. So I combined both for his birthday. I also went out that morning and bought Wilton tip 233 because I knew I had to do this grass right. I thought I had the tip but found out I didn't. Emergency trip to Michael's! This emergency trip lead to a trip to Marshall's though which was next door. I should have known better. What do I see when I first walk in? About 50 different pairs of amazingly cute wedge sandals! Of course, I bought a pair. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Before I know it all my money will be gone. I will have to blame the grocery store and clothing stores since they are primarily the only people who take my money.

Jack and Coke Cake
Yield ~18 cupcakes or 1 cake

12 ounces Coca Cola
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Frosting
3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
5 tablespoons Jack Daniels

In one bowl, mix the butter (melted), oil, and Coca Cola, then mix in the cocoa powder. Mix in the eggs and sour cream, then the sugar. In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour the powder mixture into the liquid mixture and stir until combined. Pour into cake pan or cupcake tin and bake for 40 minutes for cake (20 minutes for cupcakes) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. To make frosting, make sure butter is room temperature first. Mix the butter and powdered sugar together with a mixer, pouring 1 cup in at a time. Then pour in the vanilla and Jack Daniels. The consistency should be about right. If you feel it's too thick you may add a little milk, too runny add powdered sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment