Monday, August 6, 2012

Mac and Cheese Carbonara with Broccoli

Happy Monday! WOOOOOO! I know you're all not really that excited cause I'm not either. I figure I might as well pretend though. Pass the good vibes through, you know? Apparently there was a study though that said Tuesday is really the worst day of the week. They say it's because you still have 4 days of work left and you're no longer reminiscing the good memories and feelings of the weekend. I can totally buy that. This weekend I had lots of good food, good views, and good times with my family and friends. Saturday I had this awesome view on Kent Island as I ate my portobello panini which I will be trying to recreate sometime soon with gorgonzola, onions, tomato, balsamic... yum yum! And ate my sweet West Virginia cake
Then Sunday we got an antique chest (which I'm super excited about) to take the place of our falling apart coffee table and the day ended with this view out our front door.
Mac and Cheese Carbonara with Broccoli
Yield ~6 servings

1/2 box Macaroni noodles
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound bacon, chopped 1/2 inch
1/2 pint light cream 
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese 
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 teasoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Boil water and cook noodles until almost fully cooked, a few minutes before done add frozen broccoli chunks, then drain. Cook bacon in frying pan on medium heat for 10 minutes but don't stir it too frequently. Cook the onions in the residual bacon fat with bacon another 10 min until it gets crispy. Add garlic and thyme and cook that for a couple more minutes. Next add the light cream and cook until everything emulsifies (still on medium heat). Add dijon mustard, stir together and take off heat. Put it in a bowl and mix in the cheeses (1/4 cup parm and 1/2 cup moz), salt, and pepper. Let it cool and add 2 egg yolks and the pasta and broccoli, then pour into a casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and 1/2 cup parmesan, then bake on low broil until bread crumbs are slightly browned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment