Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ice Cream Cake


I am doing a horrible job of documenting the process of making whatever I make. I promise the next post will be better. I have the hustle and bustle of my sister's birthday to blame for it, right? Or maybe the fact that my car alarm remote decided to completely end it's life on me and the other one was MIA. I'm going to tell you this story just because it's that ridiculous.

Our evening started out by going to dinner in Fells Point in Baltimore. Everything is hunky dory then we go to Max's Taphouse for a brew before the Pirate Cruise. Mom and Dad decide to go to my car for the cooler and they call and say your remote doesn't work. I come (thinking it's to the rescue) but realize I don't have the special touch, the battery for the remote is dead, and Clifford (my car) hates me. I realize we can't go on the cruise without the tickets so I have to use my key to get in my car which means the alarm will go off. After 30 minutes of freaking out and trying to get all of my sister's friends to make the stupid thing go off we decide to disconnect the battery at least so Clifford shuts up while we're on the Pirate Cruise. We walk towards the cruise and someone (names not being given) tries to put my remote back on my key ring and it falls DOWN THE RAIN DRAIN through the grate about 10 inches below us. Fast forward 15 minutes of trying to get it out with gum and a stick, then a hanger. We finally have it back, go on the cruise then it's time to go. We reconnect the battery and all Clifford barking hell breaks lose again. What are we supposed to do? UH, nothing so we proceed to drive back a half hour with the alarm wailing. As we are trying to leave we stop since it's going off to see one last time if we can do something and we're blocking a road. Some drunk guy is trying to turn and proceeds to tell us he's a cop so one of our riders starts screaming SHOW US YOUR BADGE SHOW US YOUR BADGE. That obviously didn't help the situation but he wasn't a cop so it didn't really make a difference. So we start driving down 695 and 97 and luckily the alarm took short reprieves but never for long. I swore on my life that night we would have gotten pulled over and gone to jail for being menaces to society. This is pretty much how the drive went, with 6 people in my little mazda 3.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake with Cookies and Cream Frosting
Yield ~16 servings

1/2 container of mint chocolate chip ice cream
2/3 pack vanilla cake mix
2/3 pack vanilla pudding mix (3.9 ounce)
3 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream

1 stick butter
1/4 cup shortening
powdered sugar, for desired consistency
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
10 Oreo cookies, crushed

A day before you plan on assembling, line one of your 8 inch cake pans with aluminum foil. Fill it with your ice cream and spread it out so its evenly filled the pan. Place it back in the freezer until ready to use. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. In a bowl mix the cake mix and pudding, then add in the eggs, water, oil, and sour cream. Fill your other 2 8 inch cake pans with the batter and bake ~35 minutes or until golden on top. Take out of the oven and cool. To make your frosting, beat the room temp butter and shortening together. Next add in your vanilla and cookie crumbs. Last you can add in powdered sugar, a half cup at a time until you reach the consistency you prefer. You will need at least 2 cups.

To assemble, make sure the cakes are cool enough. Place a cake layer on your serving plate. Take the ice cream layer out of the cake pan and aluminum foil and place that on top, then place the last cake layer on top. Place it back in the freezer for 10 minutes just to make sure that the ice cream layer doesn't get too soft. Then you are ready to frost it, but you must make sure you frost it quickly (less than ten minutes). The one good thing is since the cake is cold the frosting sticks better and is easier to mold exactly how you'd like it. Keep in freezer until ready to serve then let sit about 10 minutes before you serve.

At least this is what it looked like by almost the end of the night. I'd say it was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment