Monday, April 23, 2012

Banana Brownie Pie


When it's raining outside and 42 degrees all I want to do is curl up with a blanket on the couch... or bake. I did both yesterday, with more of the curling up with a blanket on the couch, almost 5 hours of it to be exact. By 8:30 last night my boyfriend decided it was about time for me to migrate to an actual bed so yesterday was the epitome of lazy Sunday. The only reason I even made this thing is because my  mom told me she and my sister had been wanting pie. She took a crust out of the freezer and told me to make one when I got up from my first nap. I started brainstorming but there was absolutely NO fruit in the entire house, so any type of fruit pie was instantly not an option. Then I checked the pantry for sweetened condensed milk so I could make a pie with that; nope. This meant the only thing left to do was make it chocolate and maybe add in some peanut butter or something. I settled on a brownie pie but then I saw it. A single almost blacky brown banana. Hmmmm... I like chocolate and bananas. I also had just dipped a banana in Nutella that morning so obviously I like it. I just mashed it up and added it into the batter and thus the banana brownie pie was born.

Banana Brownie Pie
Yield ~1 pie

1 pie crust

3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 banana, mashed
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Disclaimers:
1. You will have a little bit of extra mix, especially if you don't use a deep dish pie crust.
2. If you have a hard time restricting yourself from eating batter/dough/mixes, don't make this. If you are ok with eating all the extra mix, make this immediately.
3. Don't say I didn't warn you when you get a sugar belly ache from eating entirely too much of this mix and the actual final product of pie.
4. Don't mind the Christmas dish the pie is on. It's only 4 months past but I don't know. I don't have an excuse.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave. Add in the sugar, water, and vanilla and mix together. Next mix in the eggs. In another bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together. Mix into the liquid mixture. Last mash up the banana and mix that in with the chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake in oven for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted to center comes out clean. Indulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment