Friday, April 20, 2012

Herb Crusted Leg of Lamb


Ladies and Gents, it's time for our first guest post! No, it's not the dogs but it is the dog's owner and she also just happens to be my "manager". She hears of all of my KBTM woes on a daily basis so I figured it'd be fun to have her chime in for once. Without further ado... Jill.

So I have a habit of only buying food that’s on sale that day. In fact, I have a hard time paying retail for something when I know I can get it for cheaper another time.  I blame groupon and Extreme Couponing for this obsession. It has also made me buy things that I never do because it’s too good of a deal to pass up.  And that’s how I bought a leg of lamb. It was half off, how could I pass it up?
I also don’t like spending too much time in the kitchen. I always have two distractions at my feet that I constantly trip over, so I try to make dinner as fast as I can. This is what I threw together:

Leg of lamb ~4lbs
5 red potatoes quartered
4 cloves garlic minced
4 tbs room temperature tears of Paula Deen (reference for PD tears aka butter)
3 tbs of chopped herbs  (I used rosemary, parsley, and thyme)
Salt and pepper

I mixed the butter, herbs, salt and pepper together and spread most of it on the lamb, covering the top. I tossed the remaining mixture with the potatoes.  I put the potatoes in a large glass baking dish and placed the lamb on top. I baked it at 500 degrees until it browned and then reduced the temperature to 400 and covered the dish with foil. I continued cooking it until the meat temperature reached 140 degrees. Let the lamb rest for a bit before serving.

Being the thrifty person I am, I cut up the leftover lamb and potatoes and made a stew for the next day. I added the leftovers to beef broth, and added celery, carrots and onions. Simmer the soup until the lamb is the texture that you like and serve it with crusty bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment