Friday, April 13, 2012

Butterbeer Cupcakes and Golden Snitch Cake Pops


My friends birthday was Monday. Of course I had to make her cake for her. Of course I thought about every possible type of cake I could make but there was one I had seen a while back that just stuck with me. Ever since we were in high school it was always Harry Potter. Through college and after college this Harry Potter theme never really went away... for either of us. So I just knew that's what I had to do! Butterbeer Cupcakes and Golden Snitch Cake Pops! Now, let me tell you, this friend is a very lucky girl because I don't normally spend this much time on anyone. I guess I was just feeling generous that day, maybe the whole Easter thing.

Making these cupcakes are a breeze, making the cake is a breeze. Creating cake pops is just a smidge more difficult but still not hard. Making sure you get the golden snitch wings to stay in the cake pops; That's hard. Let me tell you all of my mistakes so when you make these they are much less time consuming. We live and we learn, right? So snitch wings are made out of gum paste. 1. Do not use gum paste powder. Spend the extra dollar or 2 and buy the premade gum paste so you can just roll it out and that's it. No big messes or sticky gum paste stuck ALL over your hands. 2. Do not make the snitch wings as big as I did. They were about 3 inches long and too heavy so when I made these awesome culinary delights and the wings wouldn't stay I screamed profanity at them. I called little wings made of powder terrible things you would call a woman of the streets AND included some cuss words mixed in for good measure.

Anyway, save yourself the trouble and buy premade and only make the wings 2 inches long. OK! With that being said here's the recipe and don't let my mistakes deter you from making these cause they're so worth it. Especially the reactions from everyone including strangers who have no idea what they are.

Butterbeer Cupcakes
Adapted from amyBITES
Yield ~18 Cupcakes

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup cream soda


Frosting:
1 1/2 sticks butter
3 cups powdered sugar 
1 cup butterscotch chips (melted)
1 tablespoon vanilla
milk (desired consistency)


In a bowl cream butter and sugar and brown sugar together. Next add in the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and cream soda. Last add in your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together and fill up cupcake tins 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 18 minutes. Meanwhile take your room temperature butter for the frosting and mix in the powdered sugar 1 cup at at time. Put your butterscotch chips into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at time until they are melted. Add in the butterscotch to the frosting. Last, add in the vanilla and milk after to create your desired consistency. 


I used enough batter so I could make 12 cupcakes. I used the rest and poured it into a medium sized oval dish and baked it for about 40 minutes to create a smaller cake to make cake pops. If you are using this recipe to make cake pops you can just bake the batter as a cake. Before you make the actual golden snitch cake pops you will need to make the wings. I used gum paste to do so. I bought gum paste powder and added water in to make my own. I used about 6 ounces of the mixture. I would advise you to use the premade gum paste as it will save you so much time and messiness. Roll your gum paste out so that it is only about .5 cm thick tops. Cut out little wing shapes that are about 2 inches long and place the wings on some wax paper to harden. If you'd like to add a little character and make it look like they have feathers, press a fork into the bottom half of the wings. 


Now, to start making the cake pops, once the cake is entirely cooled crumble it up into a bowl and add in the frosting. Form 1 1/2-2 inch balls out of the mixture and place on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  After that, place bowl of yellow candy melts in the microwave and melt at 30 second intervals until completely liquid. You may want to add in a tablespoon of shortening to make the consistency less thick. Dip your candy sticks into the candy melts then place in the cake ball. After you have placed the sticks in all the cake balls you can start completely covering them. Swirl the cake pops in the melted candy melts and tap on the side of the bowl to get excess coating off. Continue for all cake pops and place in a styrofoam block to harden. Between each one immediately after you have covered the cake pop insert the snitch wings into each side. Make sure not to push them in too far or the cake ball will break in half. Yes, this happened to 2 of my pops...






No comments:

Post a Comment