Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Muffins

Hurry! If you're still at home and haven't left for work you might be able to make these little guys just in time for your breakfast. You really should since they're pretty heavenly. The whole idea for these started with pineapple upside cake. I've been reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books for almost 3 years now. I am now onto book 18 even though it came out in November. I just was able to get my hands on it at the library. Anyway, Stephanie Plum's favorite dessert is Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I make enough desserts at my house that I didn't need another cake sitting around for me to gobble up. That pie from Sunday was almost enough to make me diabetic considering it's gone already. So I thought muffins sounded like a good way to make it a little healthier, not so sweet, and a nice spin on a fantastic dessert. When I brought these to have the morning after the bachelorette party I went to this past Saturday, there were some very happy ladies!

Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
Yield ~12 muffins

2 tablespoons brown sugar 
1 10-ounce can pineapple chunks
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup  flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, (not drained)
1 large carrot, grated (~1 cup)
1/2 cup oats

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in each of the muffin slots along with 2 pineapple chunks. In a bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, brown sugar, oil, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the liquid mixture in and mix together. Stir in crushed pineapple, grated carrot, and oats. Pour into muffin wells. They will be very full so don't worry. Bake for about 16 minutes or until slightly brown on top. 



1 comment: