Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chicken Summer Rolls

Finally time for a healthy recipe! I need it since we just had Easter. Speaking of Easter, I just ran a 4 mile fun run through downtown Annapolis on Friday to get in the spirit... or so I say. It was the Fleet Sweet Chocolate Bunny Fun Run. That's a mouthful, especially since we were required to eat a chocolate bunny half way through the run. I actually saved mine for later that night which proved to make running slightly  more difficult with a chocolate bunny flopping around in your hand as you try to only hold it by the stick so that the chocolate doesn't melt... I made it, but the wrapper may have come off mid run. I really only did this run because the Friday before I had a little mishap. It was Friday morning at 5:30 AM and I was just leaving to go to work. About 2 minutes after I left and was about to leave the neighborhood a hopping animal flew right out in front of me in a split second. Not even enough of a second for me to react. I was very sad and felt terrible about this so I decided that this run could be a sort of homage to the poor rabbit. I did it for you bunny!

Chicken Summer Rolls
Yield 8 rolls

1 pound chicken
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1/2 cup basil and/or mint
carrots, cucumber, jalapeno all julienned
rice paper

Slice chicken into thin strips so they can fit inside summer rolls and place in bowl with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and fish sauce to marinade for about 30 minutes. Cook chicken on medium high in pan. Let cool. After, run a rice paper wrapper in warm water for few seconds so it can absorb the water. Place the paper on a working surface and add filling (chicken, basil/mint, carrot, cucumber, jalapeno) on bottom third of paper as shown below. Start rolling up the paper and tuck it as tightly as you can as you roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment