Monday, April 16, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Cake


Hola! Today's treat was our Easter cake and the flavors in this thing just worked out perfectly for the day. I had enough Peanut M+M's, Hershey's Kisses, and Reese's Cups to last weeks. Fruit made me feel better about that. I'm giving you all a throwback from Easter because I just did not have any time to bake this weekend, mainly because of a bridal shower and a 10K. The 10K was yesterday and required me to be lazy the rest of the day. This is how yesterday went. Wake up to go to Columbia for 10K, run 10K, participate in brunch at Clyde's, go home and lay out in the sun, take a nap, celebrate "date-aversary", bed. What this really means is all I did yesterday was eat and drink, sleep, eat and drink more. It was a great day though, that's for sure. I'd say I deserved it after doing this race through the multitude of people I ran with up tons of hills through Columbia. I looked at the trail prior to this race and when I saw there was only like an 80 foot incline I really didn't think it would be bad. So when I turned a left corner and this is what I saw...

I was a little less than encouraged. Especially when I see all those people far far off in the distance running through the hills way ahead of me. Someone behind me said "ugh, just look at the ground the whole time and don't look up!" It actually worked and I made it through since I did this for every hill after as well AND I ended up finishing in the first 1/3 of the race, barely, ok by top third I mean top 40%. So it was a success and the brunch after was a nice addition as you can see from this picture. I didn't know beers were included, but don't worry only half those are mine.

Lemon Blueberry Cake
Yield ~6-12 servings (in my world it's 6, yours may be 12)

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries

Vanilla Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
enough milk to get desired consistency
a handful of shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. First, start with your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt mixed together in a bowl. Next add the butter, oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest to the liquid mixture and whisk together. Spray two 9" cake pans and pour the batter evenly between the two pans. Sprinkle your blueberries evenly across both pans as well. This way you won't have to worry about mixing them into the batter and squishing them by accident. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Wait for cakes to cool then place one of them on your cake stand or plate. Whip up your frosting by mixing the butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together adding the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Spread half of this on top of the first cake layer. Add the next layer on and spread the other half. Sprinkle a handful of coconut on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment