Friday, April 6, 2012

Egg Carrot Cake Pops


It's almost Easter which means lots of yummy food. Not that I don't already get lots of yummy food but it will be an abundance of it which is just better, sometimes. I am in charge of dessert for Easter this year, naturally, and I have quite the cake planned. I also made these in anticipation of Easter but knowing the reaction they got I'm not so sure I should have! I bring these babies in and place them on the table by the sign in sheet. An hour later when everyone else starts to come in I hear reactions. They are good reactions at first saying "Wow! You are so creative!" or "These are so pretty!" Then comes the "You must have a lot of free time on your hands..." and the "So YOU'RE the one who always brings things in for us" and the "Do you do anything else besides bake?" HELLOOOOO!? Of course I do! I only bake a few days a week and I run and go to yoga and some other classes at the gym. I go out on the weekends and party it up and I also take naps on the regular after work as well before I do any of this working out. I actually have a life; baking is just one of my many hobbies, OK!? Yeesh. Maybe they won't be getting those rain shower cupcakes I was planning on making next week. THERE! I hope they learned their lesson.


Carrot Cake Cake Pops:


Carrot Cake:
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup apple butter
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded carrots


Frosting:
1 stick of butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 package of cheesecake flavor pudding mix
milk, enough for desired consistency


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix eggs, oil, apple butter, milk and vanilla. Add all remaining cake ingredients except carrots. Last fold in carrots and pour into greased baking dish. I used an 8x11 dish. Bake for about 50 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool. While cooling, cream butter and pudding mix together. Add in powdered sugar half a cup at a time. Add in milk to get desired consistency. Crumble cake into bowl with frosting. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and roll balls of cake/frosting mixture into egg shapes. Place cookie sheet in freezer for about a half hour. After that, place bowl of candy melts in microwave and melt at 30 second intervals until completely liquid. You may want to add in a tablespoon of shortening to make the consistency less thick. Dip your candy sticks into the candy melts then place in the cake ball. After you have placed the sticks in all the cake balls you can start completely covering them. Swirl the cake pops in the melted candy melts and tap on the side of the bowl to get excess coating off. Continue for all cake pops and place in a styrofoam block to harden. If you want to make it pretty you can add in Easter grass in an Easter basket, but don't go overboard or you might get made fun of.

No comments:

Post a Comment